Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mini Smock Alleys

This is a slightly cryptic post because I can't yet reveal what these are for, however, I couldn't wait to show them to you all.

I was asked a few weeks ago to make 70 mini models of the newly-reopened Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin. Delighted to get a new mission I went for it.

They are essentially made the same way as the mini houses but the scale is much smaller so there was a challenge when it came to standardising the features like the window bars and the crucifix. At this kind of scale any architectural model quickly goes from being a perfect representation of the subject to being a trick. A skillful assessment of the features that will have the most impact leaves you with a model that looks pretty complicated and comprehensive but that can be made quickly.

My client for this project has the same love for chipboard and red as I do so trying to figure out the materials and finish wasn't a problem at all.

I hope to reveal the function of these in a few weeks, in the mean time enjoy the photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment