Sunday, May 20, 2012

Signage for Light Fantastic

So I have a habit of volunteering to do things just because I know I will enjoy doing it. This is a perfect example, when I delivered my lights to the Malthouse on Monday I spied a perfect opportunity for some lit-up laser-engraved acrylic signs.

This is a technique I have been messing with since college, when you engrave the surface of acrylic and then shine a light through the face of the acrylic it glows wherever it has been engraved.

I offered to do some signage for all of the designers and as I was stuck in traffic driving back across the city I came up with the design. Using the same LED lights as we use in the mini lights I would cut some legs that support both the light and the acrylic.

I would normally try to hide the bulb and battery pack inside a base or stand but because of the nature of the show (lighting) I though it would work really well to make the light source a feature of the design.

The signs went down a treat and were, as I had hoped, really fun to make.








No comments:

Post a Comment